To address interest in microalgae culture and techniques for molluscan shellfish hatcheries, a two-day workshop was held on June 5-6, 2019 in Cedar Key. Dr. Gary Wikfors, Director of the NOAA Fisheries Laboratory in Milford, Connecticut, lead presentations and hands-on demonstrations. The workshop was co-hosted by Dr. Huiping Yang and Leslie Sturmer of the University of Florida/IFAS Molluscan Shellfish Aquaculture Program with funding provided through the NOAA National Sea Grant College Program.
For a copy of the agenda, click here.
Video recordings and handouts from the workshop are available through the following links.
DISCLAIMER: These videos are intended to present introductory information about microalgae to those culturing these organisms in the hatchery to feed young stages of shellfish. The videos are not intended as either an academic course on microalgal biology or complete training in culturing microalgae.
View the individual presentations listed below via the Microalgal Culture Workshop video playlist.
- Speaker Introductions (17:30 min)
- Introduction to Microalgae Part 1 (1:05:36 min)
- Introduction to Microalgae Part 2 (43:15 min)
- Function of Microalgae (43:53 min)
- Nutrition of Bivalves Part 1 (14:14 min)
- Nutrition of Bivalves Part 2 (48:07 min)
- Chemical Ecology (27:19 min)
- Natural Phytoplankton as Bivalve Foods (1:02:07 min)
Handouts: Complete Microalgal Binder includes:
- Gary Wikfors Bio & Contact Info
- Except: Microalgal Culture (Encyclopedia of Aquaculture, 2000)
- Scoresheet for Microalgal Strains (Wikfors)
- Counting Algal Cells Using a Hemocytometer (UF/IFAS Shellfish Program)
- Excerpt: Quantifying Microalgal Feeds (Manual for Hatchery Culture of the Bay Scallop, 2001)
- Proline F/2 Algal Food (Pentair)
- Phytoplankton Culture for Aquaculture (SRAC 5004)
- Common Phytoplankton Key (NOAA)
- Phytoplankton Culture Manual Purchasing Information (Florida Aqua Farms)
- Excerpt: Algae Culture (A Manual for the Culture of the Hard Clam Mercenaria in South Carolina; SCSG, 1997)
- Microalgal Culture Protocol (Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution, 1996)
- Algafeed Product Information (Algafeed, 2019)