September 26, 2013
This workshop focused on introducing intensive ouster culture operations and Florida’s experiences.
Topics and guest speakers included:
- Introduction to Intensive Oyster Aquaculture, Leslie Sturmer, UF IFAS Shellfish Aquaculture Extension Program
- Rules of the Road: Modification of leases to water column usage, navigational marking requirements, other permits, BMPs pertaining to seed sources, Portia Sapp, DACS Division of Aquaculture
- Rules of the Road: Oyster harvesting, handling, and processing, Kim Norgren, DACS Division of Aquaculture
- Off-bottom Oyster Farming Gear and Methods Developed for the Gulf of Mexico, William (Bill) Walton, Auburn University Shellfish Laboratory and Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- Off-bottom Oyster Farming, Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Fisheries and Aquaculture Series, July 2012. Note permitting information on pages 5-6 pertains to Alabama, not Florida.
Introduction to Intensive Oyster Aquaculture
Rules of the Road: Lease modification, permits, and seed BMPs
Rules of the Road: Oyster harvesting, handling, and processing
Off-bottom Oyster Culture Developed for the Gulf of Mexico